Home » Posts tagged "plants"

Help! My Dog Ate _______! What Do I Do?

Dogs explore the world with their noses and mouths, which sometimes means they eat things they should not.  Here, a comprehensive list of common items that are frequently ingested by dogs, as well as what to do in each instance will be discussed. My Dog Drank Alcohol Dogs have a significantly lower body weight than humans and a vastly different metabolism, so even small amounts of alcohol can cause problems in your pet.  Lower-alcohol beverages, such as beer, are less likely to cause harm in your dog; however, hard liquor can be fatal even in small amounts.  Also note that certain pet products like dental sprays can contain a high amount of alcohol (listed as ethyl alcohol), which can become toxic if used in large quantities.  If your dog is experiencing signs of alcohol poisoning, such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, difficulty breathing, or coma you should call the ASPCA Poison...
Continue reading »

10 Most Poisonous Plants for Dogs

Indoor and outdoor plants are common in most homes thanks to improved air quality and aesthetically pleasing colors and shapes.  However, many common houseplants are poisonous to pets, and should be kept out of reach of animals.  Some of the most poisonous plants – along with their symptoms – are described below. Aloe Vera Aloe is typically kept in the kitchen as a quick, natural remedy in case of burns.  However, if your dog happens to eat a leaf of this plant, beware that he or she will experience gastrointestinal distress such as vomiting and diarrhea. Autumn Crocus Not to be confused with the spring crocus variety which is only mildly toxic to pets, the Autumn Crocus is poisonous and can lead to vomiting, bleeding in the GI tract, organ failure, and respiratory distress. Azalea These pretty pink flowers are extremely toxic to dogs, and even the ingestion of one...
Continue reading »