Home » Food/Treats » 8 Foods to Never Feed your Dog

8 Foods to Never Feed your Dog

        
          

Despite all the physiological similarities dogs and humans have, there are a number of “human” foods that can be poisonous to our pets.  Every pet owner should be aware of the effects of the 8 foods below, especially pet parents of small breeds, which require a much lower dose of toxins before exhibiting symptoms of food toxicity. We suggest reading 5 people foods that are healthy for your dog after reading this article.

food-to-never-feed-your-dog

Grapes/Raisins
Grape and raisin toxicity among pets is a recent concern, first appearing to be a national problem in 2003, which has led some veterinarians and scientists to believe the issue is actually due to a pesticide that is used during the growing process of this fruit.  While the toxicity mechanism is largely unknown, veterinarians do know that grapes can cause kidney failure in dogs, as well as anuria (lack of urine production).

 

dangerous-foods-for-dogs

Garlic/Onion
Garlic and onion are part of the allium species of vegetables that contain thiosulphate, which is poisonous to dogs and cats in small quantities.  Symptoms of thiosulphate toxicity include lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, collapse, and anemia.

Xylitol
A hidden sweetener found in products ranging from sugar-free gum to peanut butter, xylitol is one of the most toxic substances on this list for dogs.  As little as two sticks of gum can kill a small dog.  This sugar alcohol causes symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and a drunken demeanor.  If xylitol poisoning is suspected, the animal should be taken to a veterinarian immediately. FDA on Xylitol.

dark-chocolate-and-dogs

Chocolate
One of the most commonly known toxic foods for dogs is chocolate, particularly baker’s chocolate, cocoa powder, and dark chocolate.  The main culprits in this favorite treat among humans are theobromine and caffeine, both of which can cause severe cardiac symptoms leading to heart palpitations and seizures.  While the toxic dosage for dogs is relatively high, a phone call to a veterinarian or poison control center should always be made whenever chocolate has been ingested, just to be safe.

Alcohol
Due to a dog’s lower body weight and different metabolism than humans, alcohol poisoning can easily occur in a pet, even when a small amount of alcohol has been consumed.  Never allow your dog to lick up any spills in the kitchen, and do not allow party guests to share their drinks with your pet.

coffee-beans-and-dogs

Caffeine
While caffeine is often considered a necessity for humans, pet owners should beware of the disastrous effects this stimulant can have on pets.  Coffee grounds and tea bags can cause heart palpitations, seizures, and even death.

macadamia-nuts-and-dogs

Macadamia Nuts
While the exact mechanism of toxicity is unknown, even a small amount of macadamia nuts can cause toxicity in dogs.  Symptoms include weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, and tremors, which may not appear until 12 hours after ingestion, and can last up to two days.

Salt
Although sodium is a necessary component of a dog’s diet, too much salt can cause a host of problems, including sodium ion poisoning.  Symptoms include lethargy, fever, gastrointestinal distress, and death.  Avoid feeding your pet an excessive amount of salty snacks, such as pretzels or popcorn.

Related Posts

Vince
Follow us

Vince

Living in Indiana, I love many of things. God, my family and almost anything outdoors.

I started newdogowners.com for one simple reason, to help prepare new dog owners for owning a new puppy. My goal is to help stop the passing around of dogs. The forever home, should be a dog's first home.
Vince
Follow us