Home » Dog Health » 10 Most Poisonous Plants for Dogs

10 Most Poisonous Plants for Dogs

        
          

aloe-vera-918662_960_720Indoor and outdoor plants are common in most homes thanks to improved air quality and aesthetically pleasing colors and shapes.  However, many common houseplants are poisonous to pets, and should be kept out of reach of animals.  Some of the most poisonous plants – along with their symptoms – are described below.

Aloe Vera
Aloe is typically kept in the kitchen as a quick, natural remedy in case of burns.  However, if your dog happens to eat a leaf of this plant, beware that he or she will experience gastrointestinal distress such as vomiting and diarrhea.

Autumn Crocus
Not to be confused with the spring crocus variety which is only mildly toxic to pets, the Autumn Crocus is poisonous and can lead to vomiting, bleeding in the GI tract, organ failure, and respiratory distress.

Azalea
These pretty pink flowers are extremely toxic to dogs, and even the ingestion of one to two leaves can be disastrous.  Symptoms of azalea poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, coma, and death.

Daffodils
This popular spring flower is poisonous in all forms, including bulbs, flowers, and leaves.  Severe vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and erratic heartbeat are all common symptoms of Daffodil poisoning.  In addition, tissue damage in the mouth can occur due to crystals found on the external casing of the bulb.

Elephant Ear
A common houseplant, Elephant Ear (also called Caladium) has large, colorful leaves that resemble that of – you guessed it – an elephant’s ear.  If ingested, this plant can cause excessive drooling, irritation of the mouth and tongue, and vomiting.

Ivy
Although Ivy serves as the perfect decoration indoors or out, it is highly toxic to dogs.  Symptoms range from minor to severe, and include rash, difficulty breathing, paralysis, and coma.

Jade
This hardy oriental plant (also called Crassula Ovata) most often results in depression in dogs.  Lethargy, slow heart rate, loss of appetite, listlessness, and vomiting are all signs that your pet is suffering from Jade poisoning.

Lily
Not all lilies are poisonous, so it is important to know which variety you have planted in your yard.  Calla, Peace, and Peruvian varieties have oxalate crystals that result in irritation of the mouth, tongue, and esophagus as well as drooling.  More toxic varieties include Amarylis, Lily of the Valley, and Palm Lily, all of which can cause depression, vomiting, diarrhea, and tremors.

Philodendron
This low-maintenance houseplant has a long stem with finger-like leaves that are irresistible to dogs prone to picking at blades of grass in the yard.  Unfortunately, philodendron causes burning and swelling of the tongue and mouth, as well as vomiting, diarrhea, muscle tremors, and seizures.

Tulip
The greatest risk that these spring flowers pose is in the bulbs, as opposed to the leaves or flowers.  For a dog that has chewed or swallowed a single tulip bulb, mouth irritation, vomiting, and diarrhea are likely; while if multiple bulbs have been ingested, changes in heart rate and respiration are possible.


Related Posts

Anna Weber

Anna Weber

As a life-long dog owner and animal lover I have dedicated my adult life to rescuing and fostering dogs, particularly seniors and behaviorally at-risk animals.I believe that nearly every animal can be rehabilitated with love, kindness, training, and proper exercise.
Anna Weber

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *